Sunday, April 22, 2012

'I didn't forgive my dad for two weeks'


Eoin Morgan

'I didn't forgive my dad for two weeks'

Eoin Morgan found out the hard way that being related to the umpire doesn't help

Cricket +
Eoin Morgan, Jonny Bairstow and Steven Finn catch up with the tennis, Dubai, February 22, 2012
Eoin Morgan (left): enjoys the sledging of others © AFP 
Enlarge

First bat 
Gray-Nicolls Scoop 2000 Brian Lara edition. Lara was my favourite batsman by miles. I have met him and he is quite a chilled guy, did not really say a lot. My favourite Lara shot would probably be his pull or when he use to play spin. He used to come down and hit it straight over the bowler's head, and he was so quick on his feet, he was ridiculous. At the moment I play with the Slazenger V-360 and carry about six in my kitbag.
First sledge I remember
One of the funniest came during one of my first Championship games for Middlesex. Paul Weekes was batting with me. Stuart Law, the former Australian allrounder, was standing at first slip to a spinner. Weekes edged and was caught behind but not given out. Everybody from the opposition came together. I walked to join Weekes halfway down the pitch. Law quipped to Weekes, "You should've walked". Weekes turned around and said, "I'm not doing any favours, mate". Law shot back immediately: "You do when you bowl, mate."
First cruel umpiring decision
My dad gave me lbw, and I'd hit it actually, when I was playing Under-10 cricket. I did not forgive him for, like, two or three weeks.
First reverse-swept six
I was playing a game at Essex years ago when I reverse-swept a left-arm spinner for six. It was a Twenty20 match, and I was not even trying to play a premeditated shot. I never tried to hit a reverse-swept six ever in nets.
First autograph
It was one of those tall West Indies fast bowlers who had come to play Bangladesh in Dublin during the 1999 World Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment