Thursday, October 11, 2012

Failures in ODIs frustrating - Rohit Sharma


India news

Failures in ODIs frustrating - Rohit Sharma

Cricket +
Rohit Sharma hits out during his unbeaten 55, England v India, World Twenty20, Group A, Colombo
Rohit Sharma says that he has been working hard to repay the faith shown in him by the team management © Getty Images 
Enlarge

Rohit Sharma, who has endured a torrid time in ODIs this year, is hopeful of translating his success in Twenty20s to longer formats of the game. Rohit is presently in South Africa for the Champions League T20, where he will be one of the mainstays of Mumbai Indians' batting.
"I enjoy my stints in Twenty20. I sincerely hope I can adapt this to one-day cricket too, and do what I manage to do in T20," Rohit told the Times of India. "I have succeeded in this format regardless of conditions, batting order and any other factors. I hope it rubs off on other formats too."
In 13 ODIs in 2012, Rohit has scored 164 runs with only one half-century - 68 against Pakistan in the Asia Cup. His worst performance came during India's one-day series in Sri Lanka, where he managed 13 runs from five innings.
"I've opened the batting, batted at numbers 3, 4, 7... I have batted wherever I have been asked to," he said. "I am not giving any excuses here and since I'm supposed to be a professional, I'm anyway not allowed such excuses. The tours of Australia and Sri Lanka were disappointing and I also agree I struggled there. As frustrating as it has been for everybody, it's much more frustrating for me."
Hailed as one of best batting talents in the world, Rohit's lack of form has invited criticism, with his detractors questioning his temperament and his casual approach. Rohit said he tries to stay away from it and maintains his focus on his game.
"Of course it hurts. If I was an opener, it would've given me time to go out there and figure things out. I don't want to say I'm a top-order batsman or I'd specifically like to be one. I will bat wherever I am asked to. Yuvraj has been a classic example. He used to bat at No. 6, No. 7 when he first came into the Indian team. Gradually, he started batting up the order and runs started coming. Some day I too will learn to deal with it and work my way."
Rohit's place in the squad came under pressure after repeated failures in the Sri Lanka series, more so, as another young batsman - Manoj Tiwary - waited in the wings. The team management, however, continued to play Rohit ahead of Tiwary, arguing that dropping a player of his calibre could be damaging to his confidence.
"I have got tremendous support from my team-mates and captain," Rohit said. "I must have done something right in the past for which I am getting this kind of support. Nobody will back you just like that. And believe me, I'm putting in a lot of effort to repay that faith."
Rohit said he has been working hard on his fitness, an area he didn't understand much when he made his debut five years ago, but now follows a set regime.

No comments:

Post a Comment